The branded (Generic) medicines are sold at significantly higher prices than their unbranded generic equivalents, though are identical in the therapeutic value. Given the widespread poverty across the country, making available reasonably priced quality generic medicines in the market would benefit everyone.
Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses. PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs. It was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in November 2008 under the name Jan Aushadi Campaign. Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) is the implementation agency for PMBJP.
Vision, Mission and Objective
To bring down the healthcare budget of every citizen of India through providing Quality generic Medicines at Affordable Prices.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness program that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets "Jan Aushadhi Medical Store", so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
About Jan Aushadhi Store (JAS)
- JAS has been opened across the country. To view the list of State-wise / District-wise JAS along with their locations, click here.
- The normal working hours of JAS are 8 Am to 8 PM.
- All therapeutic medicines are made available from Jan Aushadhi Stores. To get the list of medicines with their MRP which is presently available, click here.
- In addition to medicines and surgical items supplied by BPPI, Jan Aushadhi stores also sell allied medical products commonly sold in chemist shops so as to improve the viability of running the Jan Aushadhi store.
- OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual without a prescription. A prescription from a registered medical practitioner is necessary for the purchase of scheduled drugs.
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for co-coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- The quality, safety and efficacy of medicines are ensured by getting each batch of medicines procured from CPSUs as well as private suppliers tested from NABL approved laboratories and conforming to the required standards before the same are supplied to Supers stockists /Jan Aushadhi Stores from the Warehouse of PMBI.
Locate your nearest Jan Aushadi store
Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App provides citizens the assistance to locate nearby Janaushadhi kendra, direction guided through Google Map for location of the Janaushadhi kendra, search Janaushadhi generic medicines, analyze product comparison of Generic and Branded medicine in form of MRP & overall Savings, etc.
Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is available on both Android & I-phone platforms.
To download the app for Android OS, click here.
To download the app for iOS, click here.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi store?
State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacist/Primary Agricultural Credit Society (PACS) /individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores. The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
Requirements for opening a Jan Aushadhi stores by organizations/individuals other than government nominated
- Applications shall be submitted to PMBI either online or offline. For online submission, click here. For offline form, click here.
- Own space or hired space duly supported by proper lease agreement;
- Minimum required space conforming to standards as approved by the PMBI i.e. 120 sq. ft.
- Drug license in the name of "Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendra" and other permissions to run a drug store. Compliance with all statutory requirements for storage of drugs shall be ensured by the applicant.
- The following distance policy shall be observed, while approving the new PMBJK. Hence, applicant is required to follow the mentioned distance policy while applying for the new PMBJK:
- Category - A - A Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and districts having population equal to or more than ten (10) lacs. - Distance of 1.00 km shall be observed between two Kendras while approving new Kendra.
- Districts having population less than 10 lacs. - Distance of 1.50 km shall be observed between two Kendras while approving new Kendra.
- For individuals, Aadhaar and PAN Card are mandatory.
- For Institutions/NGO/ Charitable Institute/Hospital etc. documents include Aadhaar Card, PAN card, Certificate of Incorporation and Registration certificate.
- For Government/ Govt Nominated Agency documents include Details of Department who has allocated the space, along with supporting documents/ sanction order, PAN card and Aadhaar Card.
- Proof of securing a pharmacist with computer knowledge (name of the pharmacist, Registration with the State Council etc. needs to be furnished ).
- Financial capacity to run the Store supported by audited accounts for the last three years (Bank Statements for the last 03 years or sanction letter from Bank for extending loan in case of individuals)
- Non-refundable application fees of Rs. 5,000/- is to be deposited along with application form. Application fee is not applicable in case of applicant belongs to the category of Women Entrepreneurs, Divyang, SC, ST & any entrepreneurs of aspirational districts (backward district) as notified by the NITI Aayog, in Himalayan, Island territories and North- Eastern states. For exemption of fee the applicant has to submit the proof of their category
Procedure for opening a Jan Aushadhi store
PMBI writes to all the State Governments with a request to open Jan Aushadhi Stores in their states. The State Government, Department of Health would make recommendations in favour of the operating agency who would run the Stores and also instruct the District Hospital Authority to provide the minimum space conforming to standards as approved by PMBI in the Hospital premises. The location of the store should be at such a place which is easily accessible to the OPD patients, preferably at the entry of the hospital & given to the agency free of cost. The State Government needs to issue suitable instructions to the Hospitals/ Doctors for prescribing generic medicines.
Other entities may approach PMBI either on the basis of the advertisement issued by PMBI or suo moto with a complete application along with the supporting documents mentioned in fulfilling requirements specified above. An agreement is to be entered into between BPPI and the operating agency before the JAS starts functioning and PMBI makes arrangements for the dispatch of medicine.
For detailed guidelines, click here.
Financial support available for JA store owner
The following financial support is available:
- NGOs/agencies/individuals establishing Jan Aushadhi stores in Government hospital premises where space is provided free of cost by Government to operating agency:
- Operating agency will be provided 20% margin on MRP (Excluding taxes) of each drug.
- Normal incentive : PMBJK run by other entrepreneurs/Pharmacist/NGOs/NGOs & Charitable organization that are linked with PMBI headquarters through software will get incentive up to Rs. 5.00 lakhs. The incentive will be given @ 15% of monthly purchase made from PMBI by these PMBJKs subject to ceiling of Rs 15,000/- per month up to total limit of 5.00 lakhs
- Special Incentive: Special incentive shall be granted for PMBJK opened by the Women Entrepreneurs, Divyaang, SC, ST & any entrepreneurs open ‘Janaushadhi Kendra (PMBJK)’ at aspirational districts (backward district) as notified by the NITI Aayog & in Himalayan, Island territories and North-Eastern states. An amount of Rs. 2.00 lakhs in addition to normal incentives as applicable is to be given to the above-mentioned entrepreneurs as below:
(i) Rs. 1.50 lakh reimbursement of Furniture and Fixtures
(ii) Rs. 0.50 lakh as reimbursement for Computer, Internet, Printer, Scanner etc.
This will be one-time grant for opening of new PMBJK against submission of original bills and restricted up to actual expenditure incurred.
- Jan Aushadhi stores established anywhere else by private entrepreneurs/institutions / NGOs / Trusts / Charitable organizations which are linked with BPPI headquarters through internet
- PMBJK run by other entrepreneurs/Pharmacist/NGOs/NGOs & Charitable organization that are linked with PMBI headquarters through software will get incentive up to Rs. 5.00 lakhs. The incentive will be given @ 15% of monthly purchase made from PMBI by these PMBJKs subject to ceiling of Rs 15,000/- per month up to total limit of 5.00 lakhs
- Operating agency will be provided 20% margin on MRP (Excluding taxes) of each drug.
National Toll-free Helpline: 1800-180-8080
Source: Jan Aushadhi website