How to Manage Back Spasms During Pregnancy
Bringing a new life in this world is a beautiful thing. From the joys of the first kick, to the excitement of decorating the baby’s room, an expectant mother experiences a plethora of wonders during this time. However, pregnancy comes with its fair share of discomforts as well. One such problem that pregnant women commonly face is Back Spasms.
What causes Back Spasms?
A woman’s body changes significantly during the pregnancy, and hence multiple factors could lead to back spasms. The most common causes include:
- Weight Gain – A weight gain of 25 to 35 pounds is very normal during pregnancy. But supporting the increased weight puts added pressure on spine which could lead to back spasms.
- Change in Posture – Your center of gravity shifts during the pregnancy. To adjust accordingly, the way you move and your posture changes which can cause back spasms.
- Stress – Pregnancy can be an emotionally taxing time. All the stress you are under during this period can lead to muscle tension, and cause back spasms.
Managing Back Spasms
Following are few simple tips that can help you relive the back spasms, and have a comparatively comfortable pregnancy.
- Watch your Posture :Stand straight with a wide stance to properly support yourself. Also, when you sit, place a pillow behind your back and choose a chair with good back support.
- Wear the right shoes : Say no to high heels and flats during this time. The best bet is to opt for low heel footwear that provide good support.
- Sleep on your side : Avoid sleeping on your back. Sleep towards one side with both your knees bent slightly. Using a pillow to support your abdomen is also a good idea.
- Stay active : Indulging in regular physical activity and can help keep your back strong. However, consult with your gynecologist first to decide the best set of activities for you.
Source : AskApollo
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.