National Organ Transplant Program
National Organ Transplant Program (NOTP) is a central sector continuing scheme implemented by the National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization (NOTTO). It aims to improve access to the life transforming transplantation for needy citizens of our country by promoting deceased organ donation.
The National Organ Transplant Programme (2010-2012) in November, 2010 had approved the establishment of NOTTO (earlier called MOPDO). The scheme NOTP was developed by including other components and was originally approved for 4 years (2013-2014 to 2016-2017) and further revised for 3 years (2017-
2018 to 2019-2020). The scheme is currently extended for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Objectives of the scheme
- To organize an efficient mechanism for organ and tissue procurement/retrieval especially from deceased donors and their distribution for transplantation.
- To promote deceased organ and tissue donation including pledging for the same.
- To spread awareness about various aspects of organs and tissue transplantation among the public at large.
- To bridge the gap between the demand & supply of organs for transplantation.
- To establish new and strengthen the existing organ and tissue retrieval and transplant infrastructure facilities especially in public sector hospitals/institutions.
- To train required manpower for Organ & Tissue Donation, Retrieval & Transplant.
- To identify/establish skill centres for training of transplant & retrieval surgeons, physicians, Anaesthetists, immunologists, Nurses, Transplant Coordinator etc. in NOTTO/ROTTO/SOTTO/Medical Colleges/ Institutions as applicable.
- To monitor organ and tissue transplant services and bring about policy and programme corrections/ changes whenever needed.
- To establish and operationalize Digital National Organ &Tissue Donation and Transplant Registry.
- Advocacy for promoting organ and tissue donation and carrying out various IEC activities for increasing awareness among the general public and stake
- Encouraging individuals to register their willingness to be a donor after death.
- Enforcement of „mandatory declaration of Brain Stem Death and required request.
- Develop National, Regional and State Network for organ and tissue removal, storage, allocation and transplantation.
- Capacity building of personnel involved in Organ & Tissue Donation and Transplantation.
- To establish new skills centres for training transplant surgeons, physicians and immunologists etc. in NOTTO and certain medical colleges in the country
- Establish and maintain a national registry of organ and tissue donation and transplantation.
- To train in organ donation and transplantation data management in NOTTO. A post doctoral fellowship course to be started in NOTTO.
- M.Ch/Post Doctoral Fellowship in Hand surgery and Transplant to be started in NOTTO in collaboration with VMMC and AIIMS Trauma centre
- Develop requisite infrastructure for organ and tissue donation and transplantation activities at various levels.
- Developing an effective transport system for rapid and safe transportation of organs and tissues within and across the cities. (surface, metro, Train and air
transport including security etc.)
- Providing support system for Living donors in form of Insurance support etc.
- Help organising a robust support system to ensure optimal graft outcomes (in form of immunosuppressant drugs for ill affording and adequate timely
To view the complete scheme guidelines, click here.
Source : National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization
- The Transplantation of Human Organs Act (THOTA) 1994 with 2011 amendment and 2014 rules
- FAQs on organ donation
Last Modified : 7/24/2023
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.