As per the direction of the Ministry of HRD and CBSE, to mitigate the anxiety of the students and other stakeholders, Department of Education, Andaman & Nicobar Administration has taken many initiatives during the prevailing extraordinary circumstances during the period of COVID-19. The Department of Education, Andaman and Nicobar Islands had taken proactive steps to ensure that the school children do not lose any opportunity of learning due to the closure of schools during this pandemic. In order to facilitate the students with learning activity during the lock-down period the Directorate of Education had initiated alternative methods to provide learning contents to the students of Class II to XII at their home through local Doordarshan Channel, Cable Network and All India Radio, Port Blair.
Doordarshan Local Broadcast
This is a joint initiative by the Department of Education in collaboration with the Doordarshan, Port Blair to start the broadcast of pre-recorded tele-classes for the students of Class X and XII throughout the Islands from 20th April, 2020. The key highlights of this tele-classes is as follows:
- One hour slot daily (5.15 pm to 6.15 pm) except on Saturdays and Sundays. Later the time was changed as 4 pm to 5.15 pm.
- Covered the subjects for Class X and XII only.
- English, Maths, Science and Social Science for Class X were taught.
- English, Physics, Accountancy, Geography, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Business Studies, Computer Science, Political Science, History and Biology subjects were covered for Class XII.
- Followed the syllabus as prescribed by NCERT.
- Classes taught using various teaching aids including Power-point presentation and other digital tools.
- Telecast covered the length and breadth of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Tele-Classes on Local Cable TV Network
The Department of Education had also taken steps to telecast the pre-recorded digital classes through the Local Cable TV Network for the students of Class VIII to XII. The telecast of classes on local cable TV channels started from 16th April onwards. The details are as follows:
- Initially 02 hours slot (10 am to 12 Noon) was provided in the channel for the telecast of content, which was later increased to 03 hours (10 am to 01 pm).
- Repeat telecast of the same contents is shown in the evening.
- Covered the contents for Class VIII to XII.
- Recording of classes made on HD Quality video using good quality camera and professional videographers.
- Teachers use various teaching aids including PowerPoint presentation and other digital tools.
- Reach of this telecast is the entire South Andaman District. The copy of the classes is made available to other places also.
- Major subjects from every class are covered by making a balanced telecast schedule.
- Students are provided with Phone numbers and email ID to ask queries regarding the topics being taught.
Alternative learning through Radio Classes
An alternative learning method was started for the Primary and Upper Primary classes (Class II to VII) through the audio classes on All India Radio, Port Blair. Initially only Class V to VII were covered in this programme but later other Primary Classes (II to IV) were also added. The details of this is mentioned below:
- The broadcast of radio classes for Class V to VII started from 21st April, 2020, later Class II to IV was also added from 11th May, 2020.
- One hour slot (9 am to 10 am) every day except Sundays is provided to the broadcast of classes.
- Initially relayed only on AM 684 KHz., and later was also broadcasted through the local FM channel 100.9 MHz, which covered the entire South Andaman district.
- All the major subjects like English, Hindi, EVS, Social and Science are covered by the teachers.
- Special efforts are made by the teachers to develop the contents for the easy and better understanding of students in Primary Classes.
- Doubt clearing session on every Saturday.
- Special feature “Kitabon Se Parey Ki Rochak Duniya” which covers various topics like GK, Scientific facts, Moral Education, Computer knowledge etc. has been introduced every once a week on Saturdays.
Providing Digital Learning contents Online
Online videos on YouTube Channel
- The videos recorded for the tele-classes are also uploaded on the YouTube channel “AN Education Dept Andaman”.
- The students who have missed any classes on Television or want to see the classes again will have an opportunity to view such videos online sitting at their home.
- More than 50 videos have been uploaded on various subjects.
- Good response from the students and there are hundreds of views on the channel.
- Tele-Quiz and Tele-poster competitions are conducted.
- WhatsApp groups are formed by teachers for students.
Repository of Digital content
- Considering the demand by Parents for video and audio content, the Department has made a repository of the said content and provides the same to the needy students and parents through Common Service Centres (CSCs).
- Digital content is being stored in the State Data Centre servers and made available to the public through CSCs.
- Planning to develop a Digital Library of the e-content in coordination with the State Institute of Education.
Source : Remote Learning Initiatives Across India