Weaving a Fusion of Tradition and Modernity
Most of the women of Maharipara, Assam come from very poor family and are illiterate. They had been traditionally weaving the designs that they inherited from their mother and other elders which were not in tune with current demand. However a skill development and upgradation training in weaving provided to 24 SHG members of Maharipara proved to be a turning point in their life and heralded a new era of happiness and prosperity.
Weaving by SHG members at Maharipara, Baksa District, Assam
Nature of Intervention
Under NABARD's Micro Enterprise Development Programme (MEDP) involving a grant assistance of Rs.0.50 lakh, 24 beneficiaries from different Self-Help Groups (SHGs) were provided 13 days' skill development and skill upgradation training in weaving by Uttar Betna Samaj Sangskarak Bahani (UBSSB), a not for profit organization at Maharipara, Baksa District, Assam
Income - Rs.3,000/- per weaver/month
- Earlier, a weaver would earn Rs.1800-2000/- a month from selling traditional garments, shawls and clothes used by womenfolk. Since they have upgraded their skills, they are able to produce products in vogue using new designs and superior quality. Their income has now increased by more than 30%.
- These individual SHGs formed a cluster under Goreswar Weavers Society, comprising all 24 beneficiaries. The society has been growing exponentially ever since and has now touched 111 members. The Society has showcased their variety of products at the Expo-Cum-Sales at NEFI House, Maniram Dewan Trade Centre at Khanapara and IEE-Lalmati Guwahati, Assam. Another woman who had undergone a training, is elated to have earned the benefits of the training programme. “It's been very helpful. I never knew that I could see different designs. I can now do a fusions of design and better quality silk saris and clothes. I'm also learning designing of different garments,” she said.
- Appropriate training and handholding
- Forming a cluster provides a collective strength to the SHG members
- Economy of scale due to group enterprise
Source : Creating Livelihoods, Changing Lives
Last Modified : 7/13/2021
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.