The Ministry of Women and Child Development has instituted the annual Nari Shakti Puraskar in 1999 to recognise outstanding work in the fields of economic and social empowerment of women.
Nari Shakti Puraskars shall showcase the Government's commitment towards women with the aim of strengthening their position in the society. Nari Shakti Puraskar will also provide an opportunity to Young Indians to understand the contribution of women in building of society and the nation.
The awards will inspire the individuals and institutions to follow the league of awardees.
- The awards are open to all individuals and institutions.
- In case of individual category, the awardee must be at least 25 years of age on 1st July of the award year (e.g. for the year 2020 awards to be distributed on 08.03.2021, the age should be as on 01.07.2020 and so on).
- If the applicant is an institution, it should have worked in the relevant field for at least 5 years.
- The applicant should not be a recipient of the same award earlier (including Stree Shakti Puraskars as were awarded by the Ministry earlier).
- The Nari Shakti Puruskar may be awarded for outstanding work, preferably in exceptional circumstances, to - individuaIs/ groups / institutions / NGOs, etc. in the areas of: economic and social empowerment of women or pertaining to this theme or incidental thereto. The Nari Shakti Puruskar may be awarded to individuals/ groups/ NGOs/ institutions etc. who encouraged women to participate in decision making roles; encouraged women's skill development in traditional and non-traditional sectors; facilitated basic amenities for rural women; promoted women in non-traditional sectors like science and technology, sports, art, culture, concretely and significantly towards safety and security, health and wellness, education, skill development, life skills, respect and dignity of women etc.
- An award may also be given to a State or Union Territory, which has appreciably improved Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
- Normally the awards shall not be presented posthumously; excepting in cases where death occurred subsequent to a proposal having been submitted to the Ministry in the manner as stipulated in these guidelines.
The awards includes the following
- Cash Prize - INR 2,00,000/-
No. of Awardees : 15
Who can nominate?
Nominations for the award shall be invited from:
- State Governments, Union Territory Administrations, concerned Central Ministries/ Departments.
- Non-Governmental Organizations, Universities/ Institutions, Private and Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
- The Selection Committee may also, suomoto, recommend an individual/ institution for the award with sufficient justification.
- Self-nominations & recommendations for the awards, both, shall be considered.
Online applications for National Award for women can be filled in at National Awards Portal. The applicaiton is generally called for during January every year.
A Screening Committee shall be constituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development to scrutinize and short list the nominations received for the Awards considering the achievements of the appIying/ recommended individuals and institutions. The Screening Committee shall consist of:
- Joint Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development - Chairperson, ex-officio
- Domain expert in the field of women issues/gender expert, Ministry of Women and Child Development - Member
- Concerned Director/ DS level officer, Ministry of Women and Child Development - Member
- Director/ DS level officer, Ministry of Urban Development, Rural Development, Health, Panchayati Raj, Home Affairs, NITI Aayog - Member
- Representative of CII and FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) - Member
- Concerned Under Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development - Member Secretary
A Selection Committee shall be constituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development to elect the awardees on the basis of recommendation of the Screening Committee. The Selection Committee shall consist of:
- Hon'ble Minister for Women and Child Development - Chairperson, ex-officio
- Hon’ble Minister of State for Women and Child Development - Member, ex-officio
- Secretary, Ministry of Women & Child Development - Member, ex-officio
- Special or Additional Secretary, Ministry of Women & Child Development - Member, ex-officio
- Secretary or his nominee from Ministry of Rural Development - Member, ex-officio
- Five National level eminent NGOs/individuals/institutions - Co-opted members
- Joint Secretary (Women Awards) - Member-Secretary
The Selection Committee may at its discretion also consider individuals/ institutions/ organizations other than those who have got nominated/ recommended before the last date of receipt of nominations/ recommendations.
Timeline of awards
The call for awards is generally during the month of January every year. The Award is presented at New Delhi at a special ceremony/ function held on the occasion of the International Women's Day on 8th March every year.
To access the complete Award guidelines, click here.
To access the list of awardees for 2021 and 2021, click here
Source : Ministry of Women and Child Development