Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (Formerly National Action Plan for Senior Citizens (NAPSrC)]
A society in which Senior Citizens live a healthy, happy, empowered, dignified and self-reliant life along with strong social and inter-generational bonding.
Scope of the Scheme
Scope of the scheme is to implement Section 19 and 20 of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007. Section 19 of the Act inter alia
states that the State Government may establish and maintain such number of old age homes at accessible places, as it may deem necessary, in a phased manner,
beginning with at least one in each district to accommodate in such homes a minimum of one hundred fifty senior citizens who are indigent. The State
Government may, prescribe a scheme for management of old age homes, including the standards and various types of services to be provided by them which are necessary for medical care and means of entertainment to the inhabitants of such homes.
- Shelter and Health for Sr Citizens
- Integrated Programme for Sr Citizens (IPSrC)
- State Action Plan for Sr Citizens support (SAPSrC)
- Health and nutrition support for indigent elders
- Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY)
- Livelihood and Skilling for Senior Citizens (SHGs)
- National Helpline, Awareness, Training and Capacity Building
- Promoting Silver Economy
- Channelization of CSR Funds for eldely Care
For more details, click here
Vayoshreshtha Sammans - A Scheme of National Award for Senior Citizens.
Scheme of National Award for Senior Citizens (Vayoshreshtha Sammans) was launched in 2005 and is dedicated to senior citizens. The Scheme is funded by the Central government. This scheme is applicable for eminent senior citizens and institutes involved in rendering distinguished services for the cause of elderly persons. Institutes and senior citizens can avail this scheme by contacting Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
For More Information visit Vayoshreshtha samman
An integrated Programme for older persons
Aims And Objectives
The main objective of the Scheme is to improve the quality of life of the Older Persons by providing basic amenities like shelter, food, medical care and entertainment opportunities and by encouraging productive and active ageing through providing support for capacity building of Government / Non-Governmental Organizations / Panchayati Raj Institutions / local bodies and the Community at large.
Assistance under the scheme will be given to the Panchayati Raj Institutions / local bodies and eligible Non-Governmental Voluntary Organizations for the following purposes:-
- Programmes catering to the basic needs of Older Persons particularly food, shelter and health care to the destitute elderly;
- Programmes to build and strengthen intergenerational relationships particularly between children / youth and Older Persons;
- Programmes for encouraging Active and Productive Ageing;
- Programmes for proving Institutional as well as Non Institutional Care / Services to Older Persons;
- Research, Advocacy and Awareness building programmes in the field of Ageing; and
- Any other programmes in the best interests of Older Persons.
Under the scheme, assistance will be sanctioned to the following agencies subject to terms and conditions laid down by this Ministry:-
- Panchayati Raj Institutions / Local bodies
- Non-Governmental Voluntary Organizations
- Institutions or Organizations set up by Government as autonomous / subordinate bodies
- Government Recognized Educational institutions, Charitable Hospitals / Nursing Homes, and recognized youth organizations such as Nehru Yuvak Kendra Sanghathan (NYKS).
- In exceptional case, financial assistance under the Scheme shall also be provided to State Governments/Union Territory administrations.
Eligibility Criteria For The Non-Governmental Voluntary Organisations
- The Non-governmental voluntary organization should be a registered body, under an appropriate Act so that it gets a corporate status and a legal personality and a group liability is established for its activities;
- It should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or relevant State Societies Registration Act and has already been working for at least two years; or a Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force or a Charitable Company licensed under of Companies Act, 2013.
- It should have been registered for a minimum period of two years but in the case of the North Eastern region, J&K, Desert areas and under serviced/Under-represented areas, this condition of two years will not be applicable. In other deserving cases, the condition of two years may be relaxed with the approval of the Secretary (SJ&E) on case-to-case basis.
- The Organization shall have a properly constituted managing body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in a written Constitution; It shall have an appropriate administrative structure and a duly constituted managing/ executive committee;
- The organization is initiated and governed by its own members on democratic principles.
- The aims and objects of the organization and programmes in fulfillment of those aims and objects are specifically laid down;
- The Organization shall not run for profit to any individual or a body of individuals; The Organization should possess proven credentials and capabilities to handle such projects.
For More Information: The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Elderline for Senior Citizens
There is a national helpline number namely Elderline for Senior Citizens. A Toll-free No. 14567 was launched on 1st October 2021 to provide free information, Guidance, Emotional Support and field intervention in cases of abuse and rescues in order to improve the quality of life of senior citizens. Elderline is operational from 8 am to 8 pm, all 7 days of the week which is active in 31 States/UTs.
Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS), earlier called as "National Old Age Pension Scheme (NOAPS)" is a social sector scheme and forms part of the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP) which came into effect from 15th August, 1995. This scheme provides social assistance for the old age persons.
For purpose of claiming central assistance, the following criteria shall apply:
- The age of the applicant (male or female) shall be 60 years or higher
- The applicant must belong to a household below poverty line according to the criteria prescribed by the Government of India.
Pattern of assistance
The central assistance provided as pension is Rs. 200 p.m. for persons between 60 years and 79 years. F or persons who are 80 years and above the pension is Rs.500/ - per month . States are strongly urged to provide an additional amount at least an equivalent amount to the assistance provided by the Central Government so that the beneficiaries can get a decent level of assistance .
Source: Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS)
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India
- WHO - Facts on Ageing