Empowerment of persons with disabilities is an inter-disciplinary process, covering various aspects namely, prevention, early detection, intervention, education, vocational training, rehabilitation and social integration etc. Apart from resources, it requires dedicated efforts of persons and institutions involved in the process of empowerment. In order to recognise their effort and encourage others to strive to achieve excellence in this field, the National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities are being awarded every year.
Till 2017, the Award Scheme was governed under the National Awards Rules, 2013 which provided 7 categories of disabilities as per the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995. However, with the coming into force of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 w.e.f. 19th April 2017, the number of specified disabilities increased from 7 to 21 under the new Law. Accordingly, all the 21 disabilities have been included under the National Award Guidelines which have been notified in the Extraordinary Gazette of India dated 2nd August, 2018.
Categories and eligibility
National Awards for Individual Excellence
- Sarvshresth Divyangjan (Belonging to any field or activity i.e. Education/Health/Employment/Art & Culture/Sports/Creative work/ Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities / Social service / etc. - a Role Model) – Open to all persons with disabilities having any of the 21 specified disabilities under the RPwD Act.
- Shresth Divyangjan
- Locomotor Disability - (Locomotor, Muscular Disability, Dwarfism, Acid Attack Victims, Leprosy Cured, Cerebral Palsy)
- Visual Impairment -(Blindness, Low Vision)
- Hearing Impairment - (Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Speech & Language disability)
- Intellectual Disability – (Mental Retardation, Mental Behavior, Specific Learning Disability, Autism Spectrum Disorder,)
- e. Any specified disability except the disabilities mentioned above. (Developmental Disorder, Disability caused due to Blood Disorder, Hemophilia, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Diseases, Chronic Neurological Conditions, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Disability)
- Shresth Divyang Bal/Balika - (In any of category of specified disabilities under the RPwD Act) - (In the field of art & culture drawing, painting, music, or any other type of creative work etc.). Children with disabilities up to the age of 18 years.
- Divyangjano Ke Liye Karyarat Sarvshrestha Vyakti
- Divyangata Ke Kshetra Mein Sarvshrestha Punarvas Peshevar
- Divyangata Ke Keshtra Mein Sarvshrestha Anusandhan / Navpravartan / Utpad Vikas
National Awards for Institutions engaged in empowering persons with disabilities
- Divangjano ke Shashaktikaran Mein Karyrat Sarveshrestha Sansthan - Any organization working for the empowerment of Persons with Disabilities for a minimum period of 10 years after registration under Society Act/ Trust Act / Section 8 of Companies Act 2013.
- Divangjano ke Liye Sarvashrestha Niyokta - Any Government organization/Public Sector Undertaking or Autonomous Body or Local Government Body or Private or Non-Governmental organisation registered under Society Act/ Trust Act / Section 8 of Companies Act 2013 employing Persons with Disabilities of at least 10% in case of small orgsanisation and for large organizations employing 100 or more persons with disabilities.
- Divangjano ke Liye Sarvashrestha Placement Agency- Any Non-Governmental organization/Placement Agency registered under Society Act/ Trust Act / Section 8 of Companies Act 2013 providing placements in jobs to Persons with Disabilities (Excluding Government/ State Govt/Local Bodies)
- Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan key Karyanvayan/Badhamukta Vatavaran ke Srijan Mein Sarvshrestha Rajya/UT/Zila- State Government or Union Territory Administration or District Administration doing outstanding work in Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan and creation of barrier free environment/working condition for the Persons with Disabilities
- Sarvshrestha Sugamya Yatayat ke Sadhan/Soochana Ewam Sanchar Prodyogiki - Government (State/UT/District) or Private organisation doing outstanding work in establishing sugamya yatayat ke sadhan in their area as also accessible websites, improving accessibility of information/content in braille
- Divyangjano Ke Adhikar Adhiniyam / UDID Ewam Divyang Shashaktikaran ki Anya Yojanaon ke Karyanvayan Mein Sarvshrestha Rajya/ UT/ Zila - State/UT/District Administration doing outstanding work in implementing the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, or UDID scheme of the Department or other schemes central or state designed to empower Persons with Disabilities
- Divyangjano Ke Adhikar Adhiniyam 2016 Ke Apne Rajya Mein Karyanvayan Mein Sarvshrestha Rajya Divyangjan Aayukta - State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities appointed by the States/UTs doing outstanding work for the implementation, coordination, monitoring of various provisions relating to rehabilitations and empowerment of persons with disabilities provided under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Act 2016 and Rules thereunder.
- Punarvasan Peshewaron Ke Vikas Mein Sanlangn Sarvshrestha Sangathan - Any Institution/organization/registered under Society Act/Trust Act/ Section 8 Act of Companies Act, 2013 and engaged in education and training professionals and personnel working in the field of rehabilitation services for persons with disabilities
Who can apply /nominate
Any State/UT/ Autonomous Body / PSU and nongovernmental organization registered under Trust Act/Society Act/Section 8 of Company Act, 2013.
- Online application is to be made at https://www.awards.gov.in
- Individuals and Organisations needs to register in the portal first. On completion of registration, users can log in and submit their application.
- After the final submission of the application form, users will receive a confirmation message on the registered Mobile Number: ‘Your Nomination Submitted Successfully with Nomination Id.’ from NATAWD.
- The applications of those employed in the Central/State Government/Union Territory Administrations/Public Sector Undertakings should be sent in the prescribed proforma (either in Hindi or in English only) through the Ministry/Department/State Government/ Union Territory Administration/Public Sector Undertaking concerned duly approved by the competent authority in such Govt./Administration/Undertaking.
- In case of others (including self-employed, those in the private sector organizations/ unorganized sector and sportspersons), applications should be routed through and recommended by one of the following:-
- Department of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration dealing with disability matters.
- Central Ministry/Department dealing with the relevant subject or area.
- A National Institute (under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment or Health and Family Welfare) dealing with rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
- Principal Secretary/Secretary, Welfare of the concerned State.
- Collector of the concerned District.
- A past recipient of National Award for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- Supporting documents include
- Two passport sized photographs (in the case of individuals).
- Bio-data along with summary of achievements and documents in support therof; and
- Draft citation (not exceeding one page)
- Proof of Identity
All nominations/recommendations received for within the stipulated time are placed before the Screening Committees, constituted by the Department every year for shortlisting of applications and their recommendation for consideration by the National Selection Committee.
Call for applications is held during July-August.
The awrd ceremony will be presented in New Delhi on 3 rd December, every year which has been declared as the “International Day of Persons with Disabilities”.
Year-wise List of recipients of National Awards for Empowerment of PwDs
Source : Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan)