Vizianagaram is the main city of the Vizianagaram District of North Eastern Andhra Pradesh in Southern India. Vizianagaram district was formed on 1 June 1979, with some parts carved from the neighbouring districts of Srikakulam and Visakhapatnam. It is, at present, the largest municipality of Andhra Pradesh in terms of population. It is located about 18 km inland from the Bay of Bengal, and 52 km northeast of Visakhapatnam.
The major River basins in the District are Nagavali, Champavathi, Gosthani and Kandivalusagedda and Tributries of Nagavali are Vottigedda, Jhanjhavathi, Gomukhi, Suvarnamukhi & Vegavathi.
Salient irrigation projects
- Thotapalli Regulator (Old): The existing Thotapalli Regulator is the first diversion work on Nagavali River constructed in 1908 in Andhra Pradesh territory, most of the catchment area (Total Catchment area 4455 sq.km) of the river is on Orissa State. The Nagavali River originates in Eastern Ghats in Orissa state in "Payakapadu" village in Kalahancii Koraput District. The Nagavali River after traversing a length of 125 Kms in Odisha state enters in Andhra Pradesh near "CHEDEPALEM" (Village) of Komarada Mandal of Vizianagaram District and flows further 24 Kms upto existing Thotapalli Regulator and from there onwards travels south eastern direction and Joins in Bay of Bengal near "DIBBAPALEM" Village in Srikakulam District. The existing ayacut of 25,900 HA (64,000 AC) i.e. 8,715 Ac in 3 Mandals of Vizianagaram District and 55,285 Ac in 4 Mandals of Srikakulam District.The Nagavalli basin mostly in hilly and the rainfall in the catchment is erratic with high peeks of Discharge occurs in mansoon season.
- Gajapathinagaram Branch Canal : Gajapathinagaram Branch Canal is offtaking at Km 97.700of Right Main Canal of Thotapalli Barrage Project. It is a separate branch canal for providing irrigation facility to an ayacut of 15000 acres bryond Gadigedda in 41villages of 5mandals i.e., Garividi, Merakamudidam, Gurla, Gajapathinagaram and Dattirajuru Mandals of Vizianagaram district.
- Vengalaraya Sagaram Project : Vengalarayasagaram Project is a Medium Irrigation Project formed across Suvarnamukhi River near Lakshmipuram of Salur Mandal of Vizianagaram District to provide water supply to an extent of 24,700 acres.
- Vottigedda Reservoir : The Vottigedda Project is a Medium Irrigation Project constructed across Votigedda River near Rawada Village, G.M.Valasa Mandal of Vizianagaram District. The location of the scheme corresponds to longitude 83° 36' 15" E and latitude 18° 50' 25" N. Water for irrigation comes from Vottigedda river which was tributaries to Nagavali River in Northern part of Andhra Pradesh, viz., Vizianagaram District rivers. Water is stored in the Vottigedda reservoir with a gross capacity of 27.13 TMC and a net capacity of 25.15 TMC.
- Peddankalam Anicut : Constructed across River Suvarnamukhi near Peddankalam village, Seethanagaram Mandal, Vizianagaram District was completed during the year 1955 - 1963. The longitude is 83° -27'- 34" and the latitude is 18° -14'-0". And the project is situated 22 Km away from Parvatipuram and 850 Km from Hyderabad.
- Thatipudi Reservoir : Thatipudi Reservoir is located across Gosthani River Near Thatipudi Village of Gantyada Mandal in Vizianagaram District. The registered ayacut under the Project 15366 Acres (6218 Hectors) out of which 5659 Acres (2290 Hect) is fed by Anicut and Groynes located lower down within the ayacut area duly linked with channel system of the Reservoir. The balance of 9707 Acres.(3928 Hects) is fed under various direct channel systems.
The others include Denkada Anicut, Andra Reservoir Project, Peddagedda Reservoir Project, etc
For more information, visit https://irrigationap.cgg.gov.in/wrd/getDistricts